Spending time with mountain gorillas is a true bucket list experience! Volcanoes National Park is home to about half the world’s mountain gorillas, making Rwanda a top choice for a gorilla safari. As for the setting, it's remarkably beautiful; the steep slopes covered in dense tropical rainforest. But don't limit yourself to gorilla trekking as Rwanda has many other highlights worth exploring; it's also a safe and welcoming country with friendly people and a growing tourism industry.
Highlights of any trip to Rwanda include:
- Sitting up close to mountain gorillas
- Forest hikes and waterfalls
- Spectacular mountain scenery
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Golden monkey trekking
- Excellent birding
Best time to travel:
- For gorilla trekking, we recommend travelling during one of Rwanda's two dry seasons: mid-June to September or December to February.
- For chimpanzee trekking, the rainy seasons produce more lush greenery so chimps move about less and are easier to track.
- The short rainy season - October and November - is great for birding and photography. Rains normally come down in short, heavy bursts.
- During the long rains - March to mid-June - gorilla trekking can be tough and muddy.
Nyungwe Forest Lodge
Nyungwe National Park
Nyungwe Forest Lodge has a magnificent setting in a working tea plantation, overlooking the rainforest. The largest mountain rainforest in Africa, Nyungwe Forest is home to over 13 species of primate. Go chimpanzee trekking, hike to waterfalls, cycle around the plantation - or simply spend your stay alongside the rim-flow swimming pool. A modern and luxurious lodge, and wonderful place to relax.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Volcanoes National Park
Set in the foothills of the Virunga Mountains, Sabyinyo Silverback is a lovely and welcoming lodge just a 15-minute drive from the gates of the Volcanoes National Park. Stay in one of 10 cottages, each opening onto beautiful views of the forest-clad volcanoes. Butler service and a wood fire in your cottage add to the experience. All in all, a top choice for a gorilla trekking safari!