This is an archipelago comprising Zanzibar and Pemba islands as well as several smaller islets and is located in the Indian Ocean off the Tanzanian coastline. The irresistibly romantic Zanzibar Island (known locally as Unguja, but as Zanzibar internationally) is characterized by beautiful sandy beaches and fascinating historical Stone Town, a World Heritage Site and the cultural heart of Zanzibar. It was the centre of trade, mostly in spices, on the East African coast.
Zanzibar is an eclectic island that has long been a popular destination for travellers looking for the exotic in Africa. Offering a combination of sun and sea pleasures with vibrant markets, great food and nightlife options, Zanzibar makes for a great choice of destination. It is the perfect end to your East African safari.
Highlights and suggested day tours during any trip to Zanzibar include:
- Zanzibar is known for its incredible diving boasting some of the best dive sites in the world
- Go on a Spice Tour – a great way to explore the main island and meet locals
- Explore the labyrinth of narrow alleyways in ancient Stone Town
- Enjoy a leisurely dhow cruise for a different perspective of this romantic island
- View the giant tortoises on Prison Island
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
North Eastern Coast, Zanzibar Island
Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination where you can choose from a suite or a luxurious villa. The villas include a spacious living room, kitchen, a private massage room and plunge pool. Restore your physical equilibrium in our Spa. Inspire your creativity in the art gallery or enlighten your taste buds in our exclusive restaurants and bars.